Thursday, December 27, 2007

I have been doing a lot of reading over Christmas break! I finished Light on Snow and really enjoyed the book. I cannot wait to read more books by Anita Shreve. I want to read The Pilot's Wife next, which was an Oprah pick a few years ago.
Next I read Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. This book was nominated for the Iowa Teen Choice award this year. This book is about Liz Hall, a 15 year old girl who dies in a hit and run accident. She travels to Elsewhere, which is a wonderful place that people go after they die. In fact, Elsewhere is a lot like Earth. Once you get to Elsewhere, you age backwards until you become a baby and return to Earth. I read this book in a few hours and just could not put it down. It made me cry, laugh, and really think about death, grief, and living life to the fullest. I just know you will fall in love with this book too! :)
Now I am finishing up My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. This book is another title nominated for the Iowa High School Choice award this year. This book follows the life of Anna, who was conceived to be a perfect donor match for her sister Kate who has suffered from leukemia since she was 3 years old. Anna, who is now 13, does not want to be a donor for her sister, who is now 15, anymore and sues her parents to have the right to make this choice her own. This book takes readers on an emotional journey of one families battle with a terrible illness and a young girls personal struggle with being a normal teenager. WOW....What a reading experience this has been. I have never thoughout about this topic before, but after reading this book I cannot stop thinking about what families faced with illness and grief must go through. Jodi Picoult is another author that is new to me and I cannot wait to read more of her books. I just ordered several titles for our library.
Enjoy reading! :)

No comments: